The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

Beauty & the Beast musical provides audience Disney-magic moments

Knouse, Bellis, Shull, Smeigh wrap final senior performances
Mrs. Stewart
“Be Our Guest” featured the lead vocals of sophomore Riley Babski and dance moves by the ensemble cast.

This year’s school musical was the classic and entertaining Beauty and Beast, directed by music teachers Mrs. Amy Finnerty and Mrs. Rebecca Wiles. The musical is an adaptation of the Disney movie made three decades ago in 1991. It was shorter than previous performances, consisting of eleven scenes split into two acts. The storybook is about how an angry, self-centered beast, played by senior Zachary Bellis, and a down-to-earth, bookworm named Belle, played by senior Jordan Knouse, show that hatred can turn to love if you change your heart.

Knouse claims, “Overall, I would say in the beginning we were nervous we wouldn’t get it finished, but in the end, we managed to pull it off and gave the crowd a great performance!” She continues by saying, “I thought the musical went amazing, and I’m so proud of all the hard work that the cast and crew put into this show!”

Beauty and the Beast tells how a poor witch offered an arrogant prince a single rose for shelter. Sadly, he turned the old woman away; little did he know she would become a beautiful enchantress. She says people shouldn’t judge someone by their appearance and turns the prince into a hideous, monstrous beast. 

Seniors Bellis, Knouse, Lillee Shull, and Reagan Smeigh showed leadership in playing some main roles: the Beast, Belle, the Wardrobe, and Mrs. Potts, respectively. Other students stepped up to roles including sophomores Kaj Miller, who played Gaston, a selfish, arrogant brute who only cares about himself (and occasionally Belle), and Jordin Briggs, who played a flirty, jealous feather duster named Babette. 

From left: Jordin Briggs, David Stewart, Kaj Miller, Jordan Knouse, and Riley Babski after an evening performance.

Although it was their first musical, freshmen James Heisey and Garrett Jenney went above and beyond with their characters Maurice and Lefou, respectively. Maurice is a selfless man who loves to create inventions and cares about his daughter Belle more than anything. Lefou, on the other hand, is Gaston’s best friend and is comedically obsessed with him.

Lumiere, a romantic, “lovey-dovey” candlestick played by sophomore Riley Babski, and Cogsworth, a serious, dignified clock, played by 6th grader David Stewart, helped break the spell by softening the beast’s heart to try and turn everyone back into humans before the last petal fell off of the rose. One of the numbers, “Human Again,” details how the castle people turned household objects plan to spend their time if the spell is broken and they are returned to their human forms.

Bellis stated, “I felt like the musical went really well! Everyone worked hard, and it showed in the big numbers where there were a lot of people on stage. Everyone did a great job. The leads and the supporting cast did amazing.”

The show sold out all three nights with people buying tickets at the door and having to be seated in the high school’s LGI area upstairs to fit everyone. Many people enjoyed the fun-filled show, such as P.E. teacher Mrs. Field, who said, “I do not think I can pinpoint just one favorite part. I am amazed at all the moving parts that go into a musical. With the limited budget of a small school like ours, the musicals shine and perform so well each year. It is a different perspective of the students than what we see in P.E. class.” 

Field continued by saying that the musical was “adorable” and “It is also so fun to watch students on the stage.”

Like any true fairytale, there was a happy ending in the show. The Beast and Belle profess their love for each other by showing that they care about each other when the Beast is about to die. Directors Mrs. Finnerty and Mrs. Wiles instructed the audience to take out their light-up flowers during the transformation to help “show the magic” by turning the Beast back into his identity as a prince. 

Mrs. Wiles commented, “I thought that the musical went great!  Everyone, cast and crew, worked so hard and the show came together beautifully.  We had two sold-out nights, which I believe is a first here at Newport, and three standing ovations!  Overall it was a wonderful show and the students should be very proud of all their hard work!”

As a note to underclassmen, Knouse said, “I would encourage anyone in upcoming grades to go and try out for the musical next year. It has taught me a lot about performing and working on a team. I love the musical, and I can’t wait to see what the younger cast has in store!”

Cast members dressed for a fundraiser meet and greet which encouraged photos. The grey stuff was delicious! (Mrs. Stewart)