The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

Newport baseball begins season 2-1

Freshman pitcher gets chance on Varsity
Coach Zeiders recieved his 200th win in the Mar. 22 matchup between Newport and the Line Mountain Eagles. (Parent picture, Perry County Talk Sports Zone)

High hopes of making the postseason will keep the Newport baseball team on the edge of their seats this spring.

Beginning the season was an away opener against the Line Mountain Eagles on Mar. 22. Here, junior pitcher Aden Banks put his 100 pitches in for six innings, and freshman Jameson Cummins relieved Banks and closed the game with 35 pitches. Pressure, especially to be a varsity pitcher as a freshman, can be a lot to take in. “I go out on the mound and block everything out. My goal is to dominate the other team. When I am pitching, I must have a clear mind to be successful, and if I don’t, things can turn for the worse…” Cummins said.

Upcoming freshmen Jameson Peters and Cummins both had four chances at home plate. Cummins, senior Michael Cleaver, sophomore Zachary Bates, and freshman Landon Zaring each had a base hit with Banks having two singles himself and an appearance at second base. Banks and Bates also each had a stolen base. Senior Zachary Bellis made a sacrificial hit one of the two times he stepped up to the plate to mark his return to the team. The game wrapped up 11-10, Buffalo’s favo

Up against the strong Wildcats of Halifax Area on Mar. 26, Newport put up their best fight. Bates achieved a triple-base play, his first and the team’s first for the season, which also put him getting the most bases in this game. Senior Ryder Wands, taking his offensive stance for the first time this season, racked up five at-bats, four total hits, and four RBIs. Cleaver, Bellis, and Zaring also stepped up five times to battle the pitcher. Newport trailed by just one point, 11-12.

A previously strong Greenwood baseball team had Newport prepared to give their all on Mar. 28. The 7-1 win helped the team get back their positive record, putting them at 2-1 for the season. After Banks’ pitches, Bates took the mound for the last two-thirds of the seventh inning to close. Finally able to prove his abilities, he struck out a Wildcat, and no runners advanced.

The team’s offense looked strong, allowing senior Zachary Varney to hop in and take a swing as well. Cummins and Wands also both stole two bases during the Buffalo lead. 

The home game against Juniata originally scheduled for Apr. 3 was rained out and postponed to May 2. The team took the day to mentally and physically prepare for the Perry County Championship on Saturday, Apr. 6. PeCo results will be included in the next update.