The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

Correlation between screen time and GPA

The average screen time across all screens for a teenager is 8 hours and 39 minutes according to ABC News. Little amounts of screen time is generally ok to improve knowledge, but, according to the National Institutes of Health, “too much time spent in front of a screen and multitasking with other media has been related to worse executive functioning and academic performance.”

An example of this is Senior Seth Prosser. Prosser only has 2 and a half hours a day on his phone and his unweighted grade point average is 99%. I have 7 hours of screen time a day and my unweighted grade point average is 82%. The difference in a few hours of screen time could drastically change your academic performance.

Most teenagers are on their phones for social media for an average of 4 hours and 38 minutes according to NIH. 

People have a habit of constantly checking their phones all the time to see if something new happened or to see if someone texted them back. While they are supposed to be focused on class and their work, they are focussed on checking their phones and get distracted, leading to poor performance on work.

I and many others deal with a lot of distractions just from the phone and social media. Social media is meant to get you distracted and think you need more than you have. It is seldom good for you, so focus on what you have to do and what you can do instead.