The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

Sophomores’ enchanted forest features fabulous food

Mrs. Stewart

Newport’s Class of 2026 presented the Enchanted Forest Sophomore Tea on Sat., Mar. 16. 

The tea dance was originally a formal gathering during which people would drink tea and dance. Recently, it has become similar to homecoming, ditching the tea drinking and instead being a fully-fledged dance. 

The sophomore class took on the Enchanted Forest theme, decorating the cafeteria with trees, forest greens, and sparkling lights. They also blacked out the room’s windows with sheets of paper, making it feel separate from the school. In addition to the decorations, forest-themed snacks and drinks were provided, such as mushroom-decorated cupcakes, wraps, and punch with flashing ice cubes.

The food was one of the most highly praised aspects of the night. Senior Zachary Bellis commented, “The food was honestly amazing. The punch was really good, too. It added to the atmosphere of the dance impeccably.”

Unfortunately, attendees did not perceive the musical selection as well as the food. According to sophomore class officer Riley Babski, “I think that we should have definitely had a Spotify playlist ready for the DJ instead of him just playing songs.” Due to the lack of dancing, students convened near the seating area by the food.

Overall, the sophomore tea was enjoyed by many students. Next year, the class of 2027 will be in charge of hosting the sophomore tea and the class of 2026 will be hosting prom. Next however, the Class of 2025’s prom will follow up on May 4.