The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

Twitch streamers making bank, adding influence

Twitch streamers come from many different cultures. The majority of people who stream on sites like Twitch and YouTube are looking for the luxury and ease of a job that has the potential to make them famous. Main-stage streamers like Kai Cenat, Caseoh, Jynxzi, and XQC have made millions of dollars over the years from streaming. Streamers have had such an impact on people’s lives that many have gotten impressive contracts to stream exclusively on a specific site.

One such contract is between the streamer Ninja and the streaming service Mixer, in which Mixer offered 50 million dollars for Ninja to stream exclusively on their now-collapsed streaming service. As crazy as that may seem, that contract forced him to stream only on their site in the hopes that this would lead other streamers to follow suit, ultimately increasing viewership for the site and helping it rival the monster of streaming sites that is Twitch.

The biggest contract ever seen in this industry was made by the site Kick with the streamer XQC. The astonishing 100 million dollars that they paid him to join only lasts for 2 years and is non-exclusive.  The only requirement was a certain amount of hours he must stream on Kick for a month. For someone who plays games in his room and does nothing but stay in front of his computer, his salary surpasses professional athletes like NFL star Joe Burrow, who was signed for 69 million last year. This goes to show just how much of an influence a streamer can be – the costs for them to bring their community and viewers is astonishing. Kick, being backed up and owned by multiple casinos, has these kinds of resources to bring people in. Still, it’s not even in the conversation when discussing streaming sites. Twitch has a huge monopoly when it comes to viewership and the amount of people who go onto the site to watch their favorite creators.

With the good comes the bad, though. With so many people getting famous on sites like Twitch and TikTok, many of them haven’t acted the best. In many cases, the power went to their heads, and it made them change how they acted. Even then, there are a select few content creators who have stayed humble and charitable during their time as creators. Penguinz0, Markiplier, Caseoh, and Jynxi are some of the influencers who managed to stay down to earth and not let fame and money make them act completely different from before.