The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

New WGCU documentary takes viewers on journey through college admissions process

Showcases valuable lessons for any college-bound high schoolers

On Jan. 26, WGCU Public Media posted a documentary five years in the making, “Dream School: A Journey to Higher Ed.” The doc followed six high school seniors of the graduating class of 2020, Nailah Allen, Juan Bustamante, Deandre Leyba, Sean Mignon, Gabe Neel, and Abbie Tuschman, as they navigated the college admissions process.

All six of these students were fantastic overachievers with dreams of getting into some of the top schools in the nation. Reporter Sandra Viktorova showcased their journeys and how the students handled them as well as followed up with the students in college. In Viktorova’s own words, “We journey through the admissions process and find out if Gabe, Dee, Sean, Nailah, Juan, or Abbie earn a seat at their dream school.”

This documentary presented an honest and comprehensive look into a hurdle facing millions of children every year. More students than ever are vying for spots at the top colleges in the U.S. To a point, there is simply not enough room for even the most talented and qualified candidates. This was the challenge that faced the subjects of the documentary.

While these six students were some of the best in the race to be admitted to college, their journeys are representative of the journey every college-bound senior undergoes, through academics, extracurriculars, applying to colleges and scholarships, and finally rejection or acceptance.

Viktorova also went behind the scenes into the college admissions process through interviews with college admissions counselors and employees of top universities. The doc team got additional live footage and discussion with the college admissions team at Florida International University. Further, the doc team explored how race, gender, socio-economic background, and being a legacy have a hand in students’ admissions.

The doc portrays the stress facing millions of students every year in a dramatic but realistic fashion such as pressure to perform, pressure from parents, expectations from teachers and classmates, and goals that are simply out of reach. These students are extreme examples of college-bound individuals, but their experiences apply to all students looking to get into college. 

Mandy Adler, founder of a private consulting firm that helps students navigate the college admissions process, explains in the documentary, “Things have changed when it comes to admission to elite schools. It is harder to get into colleges today. So what we’re expecting our children to do is a lot more than we were expected to do.”

For any student or parent of a student thinking about college, this documentary can help give an idea of what to expect. For seniors with aspirations to go to a big-name college, it provides a fantastic opportunity to absorb some lessons and experiences from six people who went through the thick and thin of the process. Now that the students are well through the college admissions process, their messages from the other side are truly inspiring and make the entire rest of the documentary even more worth watching.