The Student News Site of Newport High School

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

The Blue & White

Newport band members participate in annual Perry County Honors Band festival

Newport band members participated in the annual Perry County Honors Band festival. (Courtesy of Mrs. Mullen)

On Jan. 20, Newport middle and high school concert bands, along with the middle and high school concert bands from Greenwood, Susquenita, and West Perry school districts, participated in the annual Perry County Honors Band Festival. This year, Susquenita hosted the other three schools for the event.

This festival was supposed to be a two-day event featuring a combined all-day practice on Friday followed by practice and performance on Saturday. However, poor weather conditions caused the county schools to close on Friday, so Susquenita School District, this year’s host, rescheduled the two-day festival into an 11-hour, one-day festival. The performance began at 7 pm on Saturday evening. Dr. Jon Fox, the Susquenita School District Superintendent, began the concert with opening remarks.

After this, the Middle School, under the direction of guest conductor Dr. Michquelena Potlunas Ferguson, played their half of the show. Ferguson currently serves as the Associate Director of Athletic Bands at the Pennsylvania State University. She assists with the direction of the Penn State Marching Blue Band and the “Pride of the Lions” Pep Band, directs Campus Band, teaches courses in music education and conducting, and supervises student teachers. She earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from Penn State, a Master of Music in Music Education from West Chester University, a Master of Business Administration from Alvernia University, and a Ph.D.

The middle school began with “Ceremonium” by Robert W. Smith, a fast-paced tune that heavily features the brass section. Next, they performed “Byzantine Dances” by Carol Brittin Chambers, a very flavorful piece similar to the later high school performance, “Arabian Dances.” The band continued with a slower, more somber song with “Ember Skies” by Kevin Day. Lastly, they played “Hillside March” by Randall Stoneridge, a traditional, upbeat march.

After middle school, the High school, under the direction of guest conductor Dr. Timothy Paul, presented the high school’s half of the concert. Dr. Paul currently serves as Director of Bands at Indiana University of Pennsylvania and was previously Associate Director of Bands at the University of Oregon. He holds the DMA in Wind Band Conducting and Literature from the University of Colorado, the MM in Music Education from Florida State University, and attended the North Carolina School of the Arts as a post-baccalaureate student. Ensembles under Dr. Paul’s leadership have performed at major conferences and conventions including the College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA), PEMA Annual Conference, Mid-West International Band and Orchestra Clinic, and the Tri-State Band Festival. Dr. Paul is also a co-author of Winds and Hymns: Resource Guide to Hymns, Chorales, and Spirituals in Select Wind Band Literature, published by Meredith Music.

The high school band’s first number was a slower piece they played before at this festival, “Salvation is Created” by Pavel Tshesnokoff and arranged by Bruce Housekneecht. The second was “The Cave You Fear” by Michael Marwoski. This song featured a creative timpani part using mallets called ‘superball mallets’ to create a growling sound on the head of the drum. The third song was titled “Safely Rest.” As Dr. Paul explained, this is a beautiful song that features the tunes ‘TAPS’ and ‘Amazing Grace’ throughout. The last and final song performed by the high school was titled “Arabian Dances.” This Arabic song featured multiple percussion parts along with a flute solo, a trombone solo, and a piccolo solo.

Overall, the festival was a success despite the rescheduling. Newport Senior Lucas Beaver, who played French horn in the concert, commented, “It was a crunched schedule, so we did not get the full experience. Still, it was very enjoyable, and the conductor was very fantastic.”

“Even though we had to squeeze the entire thing into one day…all things considered, the festival went very well thanks to the preparation of the band members and the flexibility of our guest conductors, administration, and staff,” explained Mr. Carraher, Susquenita band director. “The highlights were probably the pieces ‘The Cave You Fear’ and ‘Arabian Dances.’ Both had really exciting moments and some cool sound effects you don’t often hear.”