Categories:

Newport’s new teachers for the 2023-24 school year

Mrs. Billheimer, Mrs. Fortenbaugh, and Miss Swartz join the Newport staff
Newport's new teachers for the 2023-24 school year
Mrs. Billheimer, Business and Technology

Mrs. Maggie Bilheimer became the Business and Technology teacher at Newport High School this year to fill the open position in the business department.

Bilhiemer graduated from Camp Hill High School where she played the clarinet in both concert and marching band. She received her degree in English at Penn State Harrisburg University. Billheimer then earned her Business and Technology degree this past summer and moved to join her kids in the Newport School District.

In her short time here, Billheimer has already started a kindness club. She plans to have more electives on digital design and marketing in the future. As advice to her new students this year, Billheimer says, “Always be yourself and don’t let other people affect what you think about yourself.”

Billheimer enjoys playing with her dog, Jemma. She also has three kids: Max, Lucy, and Emma Pascoe.

Mrs. Fortenbaugh, Family Consumer Science

Mrs. Patricia Fortenbaugh is the new Family Consumer Science teacher for the middle and high school.

Fortenbaugh and her husband are Newport alumni, so this move feels to her like “returning home.” After graduating from Newport, Fortenbaugh got a bachelor’s degree in biology from Susquehanna University and later her masters degree in Science Education from Lebanon Valley College. Later, in 2020, Fortenbaugh earned a STEM certificate from Lebanon Valley College as well.

Fortenbaugh’s first job was difficult to find locally, so she moved to Maryland and taught Biology, anatomy, and Physiology at Wheaton High School in Montgomery County. The following school year, a position opened up in the Central Dauphin School District, so she spent the next 15 years teaching Honors Biology, AP Biology, Biology 2, and Anatomy & Physiology in Harrisburg. For the last two years, she has been at Commonwealth Charter Academy teaching Honors Biology and AP Biology online.

Fortenbaugh looks forward to her future at Newport. She explains, “Teaching Family Consumer Science is a new adventure for me, so I’m excited to see what the future holds. I grew up in 4H where all of my Family Consumer Science skills derive from, so it’s interesting how all of my paths through life converged in this job opportunity.” 

Outside of school, she is in a family of three, including her husband Jeffery and her son Jacob, who is in seventh grade here at Newport. Most of her free time is spent helping her son show livestock in his 4H group. When she is not traveling or helping with that she enjoys hiking, kayaking, and other outdoor activities. She says, “We love to spend time outdoors.”

Miss Swartz, Health and Physical Education

Miss Josie Swartz, the new health and physical education teacher for the middle and high school, grew up in nearby Mifflintown, Juniata County. She played many different sports throughout her life, including soccer, basketball, and track. When she graduated high school, she attended Lock Haven University, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in exercise science and in health and physical education. 

Swartz says, “I would like my students to excel in the skills that will impact them in all aspects of health.” Swartz thoroughly enjoys watching her students understand the subjects she teaches, and she likes to see how her students apply the information practically.

The goals that she has set for herself at Newport are to work towards her own strengths and make a positive impact on her students. She wants to influence her students in ways that they won’t forget. Additionally, she looks forward to spending time with her family and friends here in Newport.

View Story Comments
Donate to The Blue & White

Your donation will support the student journalists of Newport High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.